February 23, 2008

Rough week!!

So I kind of had a rough week last week!! I had some pain in the right side of my back last Wednesday that was accompanied by some lower abdominal pain. I decided to go into the doctor last friday to make sure I didn't have a bladder or kidney infection before the weekend. Everything looked fine and I was sent home for the weekend. Over the weekend the pain went away and I thought everything was fine.... Well I was wrong!! Monday at about 4 am I woke up with really bad pain in the right side of my back again. I couldn't get comfortable so I took a hot bath and put a rice pack on my back and went back to bed. Josh left early to go do a job at Zions so I was home alone with the babies. When he left I felt ok because I was still laying down. Well when the babies started fussing a little after 7 I got up and had the worst jolt of pain all through my back. It was so bad that I was feeling really sick to my stomach. I got Mason out of bed and changed him... and as I was headed back upstairs I felt like I was going to pass out so I had to lay down in the hallway! I didn't have a phone next to me or I might have even called 911!!! Finally the pain passed enough to get Maddox out of bed. I called my doctor and it was Presidents day so he told me to go to the Emergency room or an insta care place. So... me being stupid decide I need to shower and put on my makeup before I head to the ER. I called Josh's parents and drove the babies down to their house. Then I drove myself to the ER with the window down (keep in mind it was like 25 degrees out). When I got there I told the girl my pain was a 9 or 10 and I really needed to lay down fast. Well it still took me 30 minutes to get back. Anyways... once the doctor saw me and the amount of pain I was in, he was sure it was a kidney stone. They gave me some pain killers fast and then later did a catscan to confirm that it was in fact a kidney stone!! Josh finished his job and came to pick me up at the ER. When we left the doctor said that the kidney stone was pretty large and I might not be able to pass it on my own. So... he told me to come back in to the ER if the pain got worse because the chances of getting in to a urologist fast were pretty slim (there is only one in Davis county). Luckily the next day I called the Urologist and he fit me in to see him. He said I definitely wouldn't be able to pass the stone on my own because it was between 6-7mm.... that is about the size of an eraser on your pencil. So... he fit me in to his surgery day which was Wednesday! So I ended up having surgery the next day. He was able to break the stone up in lots of pieces and pull out the fragments!! So... I am now stone free!! Yeahhh!! Anyways... I will have to agree with the people who say kidney stones are the most painful thing ever!! The doctor said it is likely it developed while I was pregnant with the twins and just recently left my kidney!! So... I am really hoping that I don't ever get one again!

10 comments:

Candace said...

Russ feels your pain. He had a kidney stone right after he got home from his mission and says it was the worst pain EVER! What a tramatic week for you. I'm glad you are feeling better. Take care.

Gertge Family said...

HOLY CRAP Meg!! That is horrible! what a crappy week for you. Let us know if you need anything or a babysitter (Kenadee would be in Heaven!). Hope you are feeling TONS Better!

DiAnn said...

So glad the whole kidney stone incident is behind you and that will be the last of it....Hope the chicken noodle soup helped, Josh said it was good and that he shared it with you....Love you, DiAnn

Mom+Girls said...

So sad! I am so sorry, your story made me remember my after having Nya...going to E.R. and filling the pain is not fun! I wish I was there to help you with the twins...Feel better!

Rosie said...

Wow Meghan, I am so glad you are feeling better. I've never had one but everyone that has says it so painful! Hang in there and go eat some chocolate, that always works:)

Kari said...

My heck, you had a rough week! Hope everything goes a little smoother for you this week!

Walker Family said...

Meggs! I am so sorry! Bless you heart for taking care of your boys and in all that pain! I'm glad it is all taken care of though!Meggs you are great!

Tara Chase said...

Ouch! That sounds very painful. I'm so sorry. I'm glad your feeling better.

Ash said...

I seriously can't believe it was that BIG! That's a pretty big lil stone megs! You'r still crazy for driving yourself to Josh's parents AND the hospital!!! You don't need to be so tough ;) Hopefully there's no next time though! Glad you're okay... stint and all!

Melissa and Bryan said...

Wow I can't believe that. Are you feeling better? I hope! I can't believe you showered first and drove yourself to the hospital. You are crazy! Wow you are tough, that's for sure! Well hope all is better now.